Dear Students and Parents, August 2016
Welcome to Art 1
The Art 1 Curriculum is designed to introduce students to the Elements of Art, a variety of techniques and media. We will learn the language of art, which means how to; look at, analyze, critique, find meaning in, and talk about works of art. Students will be given the opportunity to explore different mediums and learn how to manipulate them to create their own art. Individual creativity, neatness and respect for the work of others is encouraged.
We will be utilizing the Art books in class as well as online sources, which include videos, projects, art resources, and daily drawing challenges, to accomplish our art goals.
Why art is important
Art is everywhere; it affects everyone (even you) everyday! This is why it is important to understand art. When you understand art you understand why and how it affects you personally! Art provides an opportunity for self-expression, bringing the inner world into the outer world of concrete reality. The study of art also provide learners with non-academic benefits such as promoting self-esteem, motivation, aesthetic awareness, cultural exposure, creativity, improved emotional expression, as well as social harmony and appreciation of diversity.
Our outlined units are as follows:
UNIT 1: WELCOME TO ART
- I can personally define art.
- I can talk about why I think something is art or not.
UNIT 2: ELEMENTS OF ART
- I can define all seven elements of art
- I can identify each element within a piece of art.
UNIT 3: LINE
- I can define line.
- I can create multiple types of line.
- I can create a contour drawing.
- I can use a gestural line to capture form movement and composition.
- I know the difference between shape and form and how to create the illusion of form on paper.
- I have a general understanding of proportion and how it works in a composition.
UNIT 4: COLOR
- I can define color, and talk about its history.
- I can create a monochromatic color scheme with different tints tones and shades.
- I can create a color wheel in order.
- I can identify complimentary, analogous, triadic and quadratic colors.
- I know how to create different tints, tones and shades.
- I can identify and warm and cool colors and know the emotions and feeling associated with both.
UNIT 5: VALUE
- I can create a value scale in order.
- I can define value.
- I can demonstrate different techniques for creating value.
- I can use the grid method to mathematically calculate proportions and create realistic art.
UNIT 6: TEXTURE AND FORM
- I can define and create a form.
- I can define and create texture.
- I can define implied texture.
- I can demonstrate and define ceramic hand building techniques.
UNIT 7: Artist Research
- I can effectively research an area of art for the information asked of me.
- I can talk about the major artist assigned to me.
- I can correctly site materials from which I have found information.